What’s Up With Larry Brown?

summer2010-brown

Does Larry Want Out Of Charlotte?

Some may recall how Coach Larry Brown purposely and strategically avoided answering questions about returning to coach the Bobcats next season. The local press tried to ask questions that left Larry with some wiggle room, and he obliged by telling Charlotte that he’d think it over and figure it out this summer.

Well as it turns out,  NBA head coaches have duties that don’t allow them to take the full summer off.  Larry Brown was back in Charlotte for a few days to scout some second-tier college draft talent at the team’s practice facility. This time around, the press wanted to get the word on Brown’s decision. Rather than smile and tell the local media that he was happy to announce that he’d be back on the sidelines for the Bobcats, he snubbed the writers and camera guys and tried to focus on the basketball-oriented part of his job. After some griping and guessing by the local newspaper writers, Brown gave the reporters a few statements to chew on after the next day’s workout session.

Regarding his status for the upcoming season, Larry shared, “I’m here coaching. Obviously, I’m under contract and doing my job.”  Charlotte Observer’s Rick Bonnell pushed him for more and he gave a less-than-enthusiastic reply of “I’m here. If I wasn’t here, it’d be another thing.”

So, how long will Brown stick around?

A few more weeks?  A couple of months?

For a coach that fans consider to be peerless and someone appreciated by every level of the organization, it doesn’t sound like Larry Brown is all too excited by the opportunity to return to Charlotte and make several millions of dollars to do what he does best. In order to get a better perspective on his position, let’s look at what he’s done since the end of the regular season.

1. He’s reached out to the Sixers about a front office position.

2. He coached the Bobcats through a 0-4 sweep by the Magic.

3. He refused to commit to leading the team next season.

4. He’s used the “I’m under contract” line to describe his position with the Bobcats.

Is there a limit to how far Michael Jordan will allow this to drag on?

There are only 30 head coaches on the NBA level, and unfortunately Charlotte’s got the guy that doesn’t really want  this job any more.  What do you do with a brilliant coach that will never be satisfied with his situation? Can the team follow a guy that conducts his job like this?

Links:

Brown Still Not Definitive On Future (The Canadian Press)

Larry Brown Mum On Future Plans With Charlotte Bobcats (Charlotte Observer)

POLL : Will Larry Brown Be Back?

(70%, 28 Votes)
    (30%, 12 Votes)

Total Voters: 40

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: , ,

49 Responses to “What’s Up With Larry Brown?”

1. spectre
    June 11, 2010 at 4:47 am #

1. He’s reached out to the Sixers about a front office position.

Really? I didn’t know that. Do you have a link or something?

You’re not basing that on a Vescey article are you?

2. Cheese
    June 11, 2010 at 8:17 am #

Larry Brown is not worth this anymore. If you have a team that could compete for a championship and he is a good coach for that team then he may be worth it.

I would rather see Charlotte spend less on a coach and try and get a young up and comer. Look at Scott Brooks, Scott Skiles, and Lionel Hollins have been able to do. In my opinion, you don’t pay for a name like Larry Brown, Phil Jackson, etc. unless you have a legitimate shot at a title.

3. Jake
    June 11, 2010 at 11:44 am #

I remember rumors saying that Brown may possibly be interested in the Philly GM position, but I don’t remember seeing that he actually had talks with them.

I think its ridiculous to suggest that Brown doesn’t want this job anymore. Judging by his history, if he didn’t want to be here, he wouldn’t be.

4. Ben
    June 11, 2010 at 7:02 pm #

The following pretty much sums up my reaction to this article.

"How do you know that the sky is falling, Chicken Little?" asked Henny Penny.

"I saw it with my eyes, I heard it with my ears, and a bit of it fell on my head," said Chicken Little.

Source: http://www.rickwalton.com/funstuff/skyfall.htm

5. Brandon
    June 12, 2010 at 6:08 am #

Espn says that hornets are gonna shop collison to stay under luxury tax. He couald be a great addition to the bobcats!

6. Gerald
    June 12, 2010 at 6:22 am #

I heard that they also wanna get rid of okafor with it….. I kinda like it especially with Chandler possibly opting out

7. leroy
    June 12, 2010 at 7:39 pm #

well..

if darren collison/chris paul is also part of the deal, may as well consider it.

8. Bcat2.0
    June 13, 2010 at 10:56 am #

Why would any team in their right mind get rid of collison? I dont get it but i would love to have him as a Bobcat. I also think if we let Felton walk we have to get a starting caliber PG. I dont think we make the Playoffs with DJ as a starting PG.

9. leroy
    June 13, 2010 at 1:26 pm #

well…..the thing is…if they wanna get rid of okafor big contract. they would have to add something to the deal that makes someone go for it.

i wouldn't mind if they put peja in the deal also. pure shooter may add something to the arsenal for the bobcats also.

10. Gerald
    June 13, 2010 at 2:02 pm #

They have also said they will trade collison and posey or peja

11. June
    June 13, 2010 at 6:32 pm #

Grievis Vasquez FTW

12. leroy
    June 13, 2010 at 8:40 pm #

Charlotte receives a conditional Phoenix 2010 second round pick. (Jason Richardson trade 121008).

pick #46…
    does that mean phoenix will be picking the player and Charlotte will have to right to sign him?

pretty good picks from the history after #46:

#53 Rasual Butler 6-8 198 SF
    #56 Luis Scola 6-9 230 PF

1999:
    #57 Emmanuel Ginobili

13. ASChin
    June 13, 2010 at 10:56 pm #

Okafor's contract is terrible. I destroyed the team for making the trade last summer but now that he's gone and I've had a few months to sober up to the numbers, Emeka might have the worst contract in the NBA — he's a fine player but is paid like a superstar. No idea why the 'Cats threw that kind of money at him in the first place.

I think any team thinking of taking Okafor's deal should at the very least get Collison and maybe another pick in return.

Chandler for Okafor and Collison plus a first rounder?

I wouldn't cry over it. Interested in how LB would deal with having Mek on the team again.

14. ASChin
    June 13, 2010 at 10:59 pm #

Oh and people need to stop whining about LB. Any fan with an ounce of knowledge about the League should have known that this was going to happen from the beginning.

It's like taking Rick Majerus and Charlie Weiss to an IHOP and getting upset when they order four plates of Pancake Stackers.

15. leroy
    June 14, 2010 at 10:16 am #

the raptors are open for offers for Jose Calderon. any thoughts people?

16. RobC
    June 15, 2010 at 11:48 am #

leroy

Calderon is way too expensive. I would rather trade Diaw and Nazr to Golden State in exchange for Ellis and Turiaff.

Golden State is looking to unload Ellis contract and they want to build around Curry, they will save $27M with this trade. They are also being sold, this is the time for a deal like that. Turiaff could be a great backup PF/C, we need both.

Then resign Tyrus Thomas and make him our starting PF, and resign Flip Murray and Stephen Graham with the bi-annual exception and the minimun salary exception. The Cats will have a great team, Top 5 in the East easily and still UNDER the Luxury Tax, plus the Cats don't load their payroll in the future and have some great young player for the next 3-4 years (Ellis, Wallace & Thomas), plus Jackson and the rookies.

17. ASChin
    June 16, 2010 at 12:11 am #

RobC-

Like it. Would hope that the W's would pull the trigger. Ellis and LB might be a match made in hell though.

18. RobC
    June 16, 2010 at 4:05 am #

ASChin:

lol!!! I get what you're saying. However, if there's a coach that can handle that, is Larry Brown. Plus I think Jackson can be some sort of mediator (not 100% sold on this one). lol!!!

19. spectre
    June 16, 2010 at 4:20 am #

Remember that GSW turned down a Ellis for Mayo swap at the last deadline. They might want to move Ellis but I don't think they'll give him away. I'd have to think they could get better than Boris for him.

We won't have the Bi-annual this year as we used it on Flip last season. "Bi" annual…only get it every other year.

We'd still have up to the MLE though.

Latest rumors I've heard: DJ/Nazr for Mo Williams and the dreaded Hedo/Jack for Boris/Gana.

20. RobC
    June 16, 2010 at 8:52 am #

Spectre,

Your right on GSW, that was just a "dream" scenario, however many things have changed since February, for instance, MJ is now the owner and GSW will soon have a new owner as well.

I've heard the Hedo/Jack for Boris/Gana (which I would do, just to get rid of Gana), however, is precisely Gana who is holding the trade. Apparently Toronto wants Nazr instead and MJ said that he'd only take Hedos contract if they take Gana's. Toronto would still be saving a ton of money. I also heard that a trade like that might happen in Draft night.

As for the DJ/Nazr for Mo Williams.Is not that bad, he is a proven PG, a really good shooter and still have some years in his belt to back up his contract. Even more if the Cats trade for Hedo and Jack. Jack would be a great backup PG, Hedo can be a PF and Tyrus can play both back up PF and C.

On another note, I heard that it might be real that Tyson will opt out of his contract. Apparently he wants a long term deal, even if for less money.

21. Julian
    June 16, 2010 at 9:06 am #

I really think the depth chart will look like this next season:

mo Williams/mikhail Torrence

capt Jack/flip/hendo

gw/d brown

tt/diaw/ishmail Mohammed

Tyson/Alexis/diopp

any thoughts??

22. spectre
    June 16, 2010 at 10:09 am #

RobC:

I don't think it's totally out of the question that TC opts out. I wonder however what his and our FO's thoughts are on re-signing him? If we could re-up him for say 8.5 for 3 years that'd give us 4 million more to play with before hitting the LT.

If he wanted out of Charlotte it kind of screws us IMO. After QO TT and subtracting TC's salary we're still only 4 million under the cap (disregarding his & Felton's cap holds). Since it appears we're trying/going to move either Nazr or Gana in getting a PG that leaves us in bad shape at the 5.

Basically…if he opts out then re-signs with us at a lower rate = good.

…opts out and signs with another team = bad.

23. spectre
    June 16, 2010 at 10:16 am #

"mo Williams/mikhail Torrence

capt Jack/flip/hendo

gw/d brown

tt/diaw/ishmail Mohammed

Tyson/Alexis/diopp

any thoughts??"

We're doomed.

Heh!

Do you mean Ishmael Smith? He's a guard.

I think that lineup is ok if TC can stay healthy.

24. Julian
    June 16, 2010 at 10:39 am #

I jst don't know about hedo. And no Mohammed is a forwardfor gt he's a FA

25. Jake
    June 16, 2010 at 11:19 am #

RobC:

Where are you hearing these rumors? I don't doubt you, but I'd like to actually see the rumors for myself.

26. ASChin
    June 16, 2010 at 11:24 am #

Oh, and the Hedo deal??? Are you kidding me???!!!

Go over the hoopshype.com right now (http://hoopshype.com/salaries/toronto.htm) and check out his contract.

Almost double what Diop makes and he gets an extra year in '13-'14 for $12 million! He'll be 35 during that season, btw.

If you do that deal, you have to unload Diop and maybe even get a first rounder as well.

What position is Hedo going to play anyway? The 'Cats strongest players are both natural SFs.

Sorry guys, I just don't get it — unless the team has another deal in the works to move SJAX or Crash, the trade just doesn't make any sense from a roster or financial perspective.

Plus, Hedo has Peja Stojakovic's career arc written all over him. Go ask the Hornets how that's worked out for them.

27. Julian
    June 16, 2010 at 11:44 am #

Well Said

28. spectre
    June 16, 2010 at 1:18 pm #

I'll disagree on TC's skillset, but regardless…if the FO plans on moving a C in order to get a PG which every rumor so far has then TC is going to be needed. What else do you propose we get for 4 million bucks? This year a C is pretty hard to come by in FA.

TC is a smart defender and is 7'…big guys get a premium in this league and we could always trade that contract.

I don't like Hedo for all you said (his contract is actually worse…he has a 15% trade kicker) and I agree it weakens the 4 or worse…forces Crash more into that position, but moving Gana and getting a credible PG in Jack softens the blow.

Not my choice at all, but I don't absolutely hate it. Personally I'd rather keep Boris.

29. spectre
    June 16, 2010 at 1:23 pm #

BTW, Hoopshype has errors. One obvious point is they have Crash's contract getting annual raises when he's really getting 9.5 flat.

I always use draftexpress, shamsports or storytellers. Much more accurate.

30. Jake
    June 16, 2010 at 2:43 pm #

RobC,

I asked you, not Julian June. :)

Tyson Chandler opting out, whether we re-sign him at a reasonable rate or not, would be the single best thing that could happen to the Bobcats this offseason. It gives the Bobcats something they sorely need: money. I'm going to assume Nazr is likely gone in a trade, which would leave us without a starting center. Unless Brendan Haywood is planning to give the Bobcats a bit of a hometown discount, it would be smart to bring Chandler back.

31. spectre
    June 16, 2010 at 3:26 pm #

“I’ve heard the Hedo/Jack for Boris/Gana (which I would do, just to get rid of Gana), however, is precisely Gana who is holding the trade. Apparently Toronto wants Nazr instead and MJ said that he’d only take Hedos contract if they take Gana’s. Toronto would still be saving a ton of money. I also heard that a trade like that might happen in Draft night.”

…and if you notice the wiretaps/headlines Toronto has been saying they have a deal for Hedo they can and possibly will do at the draft.

Let’s hope MJ sticks to his guns. If it’s Nazr instead of Gana that trade goes from near fair to taking us to the cleaners.

32. ASChin
    June 16, 2010 at 4:16 pm #

Am I missing something with you guys wanting re-sign Tyson? You’re talking about Tyson Chandler, right?

Dude is not worth anything over the MLE and that’s just because of his size and position. Injury prone with a below average skill set. He couldn’t even surpass Theo Ratliff on the depth chart during the postseason run.
    Please.

33. spectre
    June 16, 2010 at 4:29 pm #

See I'm with Jake. If he opts out and we qualify Tyrus (which it seems we will do) then we only have 4 million. That's not getting Haywood nor any other semi-decent C that could even think of playing P&R for Larry Brown.

The only positive (heh!) would be that it'd free up enough to re-sign Felton as we can go over the cap because we have his Bird Rights. Then I guess we could keep Nazr and maybe re-sign Theo to a vet min deal.

BTW RobC…that same rumor is coming out of some Raps fans, so it appears both sides are hearing it. They've even said Gana instead of Nazr.

34. RobC
    June 16, 2010 at 6:23 pm #

Julian June,

The Hedo deal is just all over the media, since last week. Charlotte observer for instance (however, they mention Boris/Hedo straight out).

On where do I get the rest, I cannot tell you who, but I happen to know someone that is part of the Bobcats organization. Eventhough he has no saying in the actual decision, he is involve in trade discussions. And no, is not a joke or anything like that. At the same time it doesn’t mean it’s going to happen, these are just conversations within the organization.

On Tyson Chandler, the best thing he can do is Opt-out and sign elsewhere. That would be the single best thing that can happen to the Bobcats.

35. Jason
    June 16, 2010 at 9:48 pm #

No way the Warriors unload Monta on the Bobcats unless Crash is a part of the deal. They have the third highest attendance in the NBA. Oaksterdam is trying to keep the fans in the seats, folks.

36. Julian
    June 16, 2010 at 10:12 pm #

My question about the hedo trade is why would we bring in 3rd SF who would start at the 3 on any other team whose contract is argubaly worse then diop. And if were doing all this jst to get jack. I’d b very disapointed. Unless we get a 1st round pick which I doubt

37. RobC
    June 16, 2010 at 10:19 pm #

spectre,

I’m noy sure, but I believe that if Chandler Opts-out the Cats will have about $12M in Cap Space (under the Luxury Tax) Then we need to get a PG and a starting Center.

I think the Cats currently have about $66.7M in payroll, including Tyrus Thomas option of $6.3M. It is my understanding that the Luxury Tax is set at about $66.1M. If Chandler opts-out, that gives the Cats about $12M in Cap space.

Please correct me if I’m wrong. This is according to Hoopshype.

I’m not sure how much Heywood will be asking for, but $8-9M should be fair, given that David Lee is looking for $12-14M.

That being said, if the Cats can trade DJ/Nazr for Mo Williams, sign Brendan Heywood for $9-10M, and then add someone like Earl Watson. Then you can add Flip, Stephen Graham, Theo and it looks like Larry wants Darius Miles, and you can use some of the Salary exceptions.

That would leave a roster of:

Williams/Watson
    Jackson/Henderson/Flip
    Wallace/Graham/Brown
    Diaw/Tyrus/Miles
    Heywood/Ajinca/Theo/Gana

38. ASChin
    June 16, 2010 at 10:45 pm #

RobC-

The actual cap limit is much lower than the luxury tax line. Don’t have the numbers in front of me but I think the cap line is around $59 million. So if Tyson opted out (god willing) then would be sitting at around $48 million before re-signing Tyrus Thomas. Still leaves you with around $12 million though so you’re right on about that.

Brendon Haywood is big upgrade over Tyson btw and a better fit for the team. He’s only had one major injury in his entire career (wrist a couple years back), stays healthy and plays great defense.

39. spectre
    June 17, 2010 at 12:01 am #

The salary cap was 57.7 million last year and Stern said it would probably go down around 1 million…so say 57.

ASCHin is correct in that capspace is the difference between the above and you salary…not the luxury tax limit. Thing is we have to QO Tyrus before July 1st…so you have to add that in. Here's the numbers as I see them however:

Sitting at 59.1 million, subtract TC's 13.2 that puts us at 45.9 million. Tyrus' QO adds 6.3 which moves it back to 52.2 million.

57 million – 52.2 is 4.8 million bucks of capspace.

Due to capholds on both Felton & TC we won't be under the cap unless we officially renounce them…so we'd still have the MLE available.

40. Jake
    June 17, 2010 at 5:49 am #

Why are we worried about what the cap limit is? Won't the Bobcats be spending up to the luxury tax limit?

Please excuse my ignorance on this, I'm not quite as educated on the ins-and-outs of NBA financials as I should be.

41. Flippydrippy
    June 17, 2010 at 6:37 am #

I highly doubt the Hedo thing would work. Hedo is more of a Point-Forward and we really already have that with Captain Jack. The only way I buy the Hedo thing is if it's that we have another trade in the works that'll send Hedo to the Kings or back to his beloved Magic. I say we try to pry draft picks from whichever team wants him along with a guy that will balance out the salaries. I feel this years draft will pan out to be one of the best in recent years. For us to not dabble around and try to get a pick here or there would be crazy. I know LB won't play a rookie anyways but atleast it's some insurance for whatever position we would draft. If we could jump in the mid teens to mid 20's we would have a shot at some talent drifting around in there. If Alabi were still left or if Whiteside slides then maybe we could get lucky and pick em up for insurance with TC being such a huge liability. I still think Terrico White can play PG and having an explosive athlete like him on the floor for 10-15 minutes would put some people in their seats. For some reason I still think LB should just go ahead and retire before he screws with the team too much more. There are plenty of candidates out there who would do well with the talent we have. Byron Scott comes to mind.

42. Jake
    June 17, 2010 at 10:52 am #

So that would mean that any free agent move the Bobcats make is going to have to come at the veteran minimum or (one at) the MLE?

If that's the case, the Bobcats should go into this offseason focused on re-signing Felton and Tyrus, and hoping they can get Chandler to sign a pretty reasonable deal that would pay him around $4MM a year.

43. spectre
    June 17, 2010 at 12:45 pm #

Jake, the reason is that once you hit the cap limit of 57 million you can only spend the midlevel exception on FAs (about 5.5 million). There’s also the Bi-annual but we don’t have that. Only thing left is the veteran’s minimum.

Remember the LT is the threshold where the NBA taxes you for being over; you’re really “over” at 57 million and thus are restricted in how much money you’re allowed to spend except for your own free agents.

We can re-sign Tyrus, Chandler if he opts out and/or Felton and we wouldn’t be held to that. Those are the only ones though.

The cap also restricts trades. Being under the cap you can take back a much bigger salary then you’re shipping out (see Richardson/Suns trade). If you’re at or above the cap all trades must be within 125% + 100k of each other.

44. spectre
    June 17, 2010 at 2:09 pm #

You got it.

This FO loves to trade though. I just hate losing assets for nothing. If it cleared enough where we could maybe go after the bigger names it'd be one thing…but not even space?

45. Chuck388
    June 18, 2010 at 6:44 am #

Hey guys,

Some Bobcats love from France !

Been reading your blog daily since i've been aware of its existence, the posts and comment are very good.

I've been on the espn trade machine all afternoon and i've finally worked out a trade that could be great since it allows the wolves to move a big man they don't want anymore, which would improve us dramatically at the center position and it also lands us a really good young PG in Collison. Let me know yout thoughts :

46. leroy
    June 18, 2010 at 8:56 am #

Chuck388

i think it looks really good for the bobcats and the hornets but I absolutely think wolves will not take this deal. This deal is not giving them any expiring deals, or any kind of talents and they also have to give up AL JEFFERSON, one of the best young center in the league. They have the 4th pick this year so their line up may look like.

Jonny Flynn

Wayne Ellington

Wesley Johnson

Kevin Love

Al Jefferson

and don't forget they can also sign ricky rubio in the early future. by doing this, they have to give up one shooting prospect and one still develop-able center.

Good effort though.

Personally would love to see this deal happen.

hahahahaha

47. Chuck388
    June 19, 2010 at 6:07 am #

Thanks for your analysis,

I was basing this trade according the rumors about the fact that minnesota didn't see Kevin Love and Al Jefferson, 2 similar players, as an effective combination in the middle. To fix the issue at the center position, they can draft a talented and physical defensive big man with their 16th or 23rd pick. Don't count out Corey Brewer, which opened some eyes this season, I don't see Ellington, who didn't have a strong season starting in front of Brewer. Plus, with Al Jefferson, we could afford letting Tyson opt out and sign elsewhere, leaving us with some more cap space to strenghten some positions such as the backup PF, left empty with the departure of Diaw and the likely starts of TT, after we QOd him.

48. Brandon
    June 19, 2010 at 5:35 pm #

I personally love the trade and I think minn. Might accept since they are shopping al. Maybe if we add a future pick to sealthe deal?

49. bobcat fan
    June 23, 2010 at 3:20 am #

just sign felton, and trade diaw or tyrus , to a post treat forward/center. and atleast trade gana and nazi.